Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Uh oh! Frost Monster!

DC has issued a frost alert for this evening, which means when I get home I'll be moving my container pots to the garage, and covering up my strawberries with some landscaping fabric to keep the frost off their leaves.  If moving your container pots indoors isn't an option, you can put grocery bags (paper or plastic) over the plants.  You can cover them with just about anything that will stay down and keep them covered.  Fabric, plastic, newspaper (probably needs to be weighed down by rocks).  From what I understand, early spring veggies that can be planted a few weeks before the last frost date can "handle" a frost...but none of them are going to thrive from it and they will take a hit healthwise.  So if you don't have time to cover up your peas or strawberries...don't start weeping into your cereal, they'll be okay.  Now, the folks who got in tomatoes, beans, peppers, etc...ya know, the things we always plant the second we have a 70 degree day even though they're not supposed to be put outside for another month or two in mid May?  Yeah...get those covered up...well...one frost can and likely will kill these plants.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, its Manda from Livestrong :) i blog on blogspot too so i wanted to subscribe and let you know who the heck this was lol. Just wanted to post to say hello. I have no green thumb, but enjoy trying to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Hey Manda! Thanks for subscribing so I could grab your blog too! Right now I only have two other blogs to follow so I'm trying to add to my repertoire :o)

    ReplyDelete