Total Pageviews

Friday, May 25, 2012

Last of the plantings (and summary of the garden)

That's right, this past weekend I managed to finally get my veggies fully planted.  My apologies on no pretty pictures, I'll post some when I get back from vacation and have time to fix the picture importer (plus, more fun to post pictures of what the plants look like a week or two after planting).  I gave up on doing brussel sprouts because I didn't have great luck with them last year and I'm already taking on a hell of a lot in the garden.  So what did I do to round out my veggie garden?

Well, I tilled my finally area of the raised bed in back and planted a few sweet potatoes (purchased as little roots from Burpee) in half and the other half I put in zucchini and yellow squash.  I did four seeds of each in the hopes that two of each sprout and I'll thin it out.  I don't have high hopes for the sweet potatoes in the back because it's not very well tilled or fertilized where I planted them, but I basically just wanted to at least try with the leftover roots I have and see what they do.  The best looking roots I put in my potato grow bag from Gardener's.  I've been told that this area isn't hot enough for sweet potatoes but I at least wanted to try it out once.

I also got tomato cages around my tomatoes and planted the row of snacking sunflowers in front of my house.  I'm still torn about if I want to tackle another large project of digging out another 4 feet or so in front of them to plant the pretty white and maroon sunflowers.  I got a bit behind on that project so I'm considering just waiting to do them until I see how well the first row of sunflowers does, especially because these are annuals that I will have to redo all the work year after year.

So in summary, here is all the veggies I'm trying: fairytale eggplant, black beauty eggplant, four tomato varieties, zucchini, yellow squash, sweet pepper, mildly hot pepper, bush beans, rainbow chard, purple carrot, red/white/yellow onions, lettuce, spinach, broccoli, peas, and sweet potatoes.  Fruit I currently have: strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and fruit trees: dwarf lemon, dwarf lime, dwarf pomegranate, dwarf banana.  The fruit trees are doing well but won't produce any fruit this year while they grow since I just got them.  I'll be doing a separate post on them later in the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment